Delicious Midweek Indian Chicken Bake with Cauliflower
Here is the next recipe in the midweek chicken bakes that you can easily make after a day at work with a little effort. A tasty Indian style chicken bake with cauliflower and baby potatoes (omit them if you are low carbing or swap them out for something like green beans).
This recipe has a homemade curry paste but you could easily swap that for a jar of curry paste to make your bake even easier to whip up after a hard days work.
The lemon and tomatoes that are added to the bake will cook down a in the oven and mix with the paste to give you a loose, fresh, curry sauce.
Indian Chicken Bake
– 700g Chicken Thighs
– 1/2 Cauliflower (florets)
– 3 Tomatoes (wedges)
– 100g Baby Potatoes (boil for 5 mins)
– 1 Lemon (wedges)
– 8 Cardamom Pods (bang them to crack the outers)
– 1 tsp Turmeric (split into 2 x 1/2 tsp)
– Handful Fresh Coriander (about 15g)
– Ginger (peeled, about thumb size)
– 1 Large Red Chilli
– 2 Cloves Garlic (peeled)
– 2 tsp Cumin (ground)
– 1 tsp Coriander (ground)
– 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
– 1/2 tsp Fenugreek
– 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
– 4 tbsp Oil (I used groundnut)
1. Start of by bringing a pan of water to the boil, add 1/2 tsp of turmeric and the cardamom pods and add your cauliflower florets and blanch for 3-5 minutes, drain and keep to the side. You want the cauliflower to take on the turmeric colour.
2. To make your Indian chicken paste blitz the remaining tumeric, ginger, chilli, garlic, cumin, coriander (both fresh & ground), mustard seeds, fenugreek, asafoetida and oil together. You may need to scrape down the sides a couple of times to give the texture you want. You are looking for a well blitzed down paste with some mustard seeds remaining and small flecks of fresh coriander.
3. Coat the chicken thighs in the paste and place skin up in a oven tray. Arrange the cauliflower and potatoes around the chicken. Place the lemon and the tomatoes into the creases between the chicken and veg.
4. Bake for 40 minutes before moving the veg around and turning it all. I squashed the lemon and the tomato to the bottom at this stage and allowed it to cook into a sauce.
5. Cook for a further 30 minutes, checking after about 20. If any of the cauliflower is catching then give it a turn to put the coloured side facing into the dish and allow the other side to take a colour.
Hope you enjoy and are looking forward to next weeks tasty midweek chicken bake.